OVAL, Lingotto Fiere
Director: Francesco Manacorda
Galleries: 161 from 27 countries
The curatorial program of Artissima 2011 included two different projects:
- the first was inside the fair, “Approssimazioni Razionali Semplici”: curated by the director Francesco Manacorda and the artist Lara Favaretto, the project offered the hypothesis of a museum as a temporary organism that appears, scatters, shares, publishes and vanishes, as opposed to the traditional museum structure that acquires, catalogues, conserves and puts into order.
- the second, in the city, was “Artissima LIDO”, in the area of the Quadrilatero Romano during the evening: 16 group shows set up by artists from all over Italy were hosted in a series of spaces (stores, restaurants, cafes, studios, workshops, courtyards) in which to move forward with various experimental activities.
The programme of “Simple Rational Approximations” included:
- Permanence on Demand: a permanent collection inspired by Eat Art with masterpieces of modern art reproduced in the form of cakes;
- Hypnotic Show: a warehouse of fundamental exhibitions of the 20th century that could be visited under hypnosis, in the show curated by Raimundas Malašauskas;
- Ufficio di Statistica: a publication department, during all the days of the fair, presented real-time data on the event and the curatorial project, created by the graphic design team of Artissima, Sara De Bondt Studio.
2011 was also the year of the Collectors’ Talks – guided visits to the fair conducted by important international collectors – as well as the first iOS app of the fair, and the first live-tweeting initiative.