OVAL, Lingotto Fiere
Director: Ilaria Bonacossa
Galleries: 206 from 32 countries
Artissima gains a new director: Ilaria Bonacossa, who launches the new Disegni section curated by Luís Silva and João Mourão, to focus on the artistic practice of drawing.
Curatorial projects made a comeback at the fair, with two initiatives that linked back to Arte Povera:
- Il Deposito d’Arte Italiana Presente. Curated by Ilaria Bonacossa and Vittoria Martini, the Deposito contained prestigious loans from Piedmont-based institutions, together with works contributed by the galleries taking part in the fair. This was a dynamic space of display and discussion, generating a narrative of Italian art of the last 20 years and imagining future developments
- “PIPER. Learning at the discotheque”. This was the programme of talks at Artissima coordinated by “the classroom”, the centre of art and education directed by Paola Nicolin. The project developed its content based on reflections on the Piper of Torino, the disco designed by Pietro Derossi with Giorgio Ceretti, active from 1966 to 1969: an international model of a non-institutional space for contemporary art. The programme began with a course conducted by the artist Seb Patane, and continued with lectures and conversations about contemporary art production.
There were four new prizes:
- OGR Award is the new prize of the Fondazione per l’Arte Moderna e Contemporanea CRT for the acquisition of a work for the new OGR.
- Refresh Premio Irinox, sponsored by Irinox, focuses on the new Disegni section.
- The Campari Art Prize, in collaboration with Gruppo Campari, goes to an artist under 35.
- Premio CARIOCA KIDS, in collaboration with the Department of Education of the City of Torino, is sponsored by CARIOCA and coordinated by ZonArte, for the New Entries section.
Amongst the most important new developments this year, we should mention the birth of the artissima.art digital platform, in the context of the Artissima Digital project, supported by Compagnia di San Paolo. The catalogue becomes digital, offering the possibility of exploring Artissima in a virtual environment, studying its contents and storing them in a list of personal favourites.
The #SocialRoom is another new initiative: a space in which the audience of the fair can recharge personal devices in a place full of stimuli, suggestions and digital inspirations.
As a prelude to the fair’s future engagement with the theme of sound, Fossil of Experience was an original action by Nico Vascellari, halfway between a musical performance and a sound archive of the fair.